Ottawa Extends Work Permits for 2,700 Foreign Workers in Manitoba to End of 2027

Voix True

News

Ottawa Extends Work Permits for 2,700 Foreign Workers in Manitoba to End of 2027

Extension follows months of rallies and pressure from the province's immigration minister

Published: July 27, 2026

The federal government is extending work permits for 2,700 foreign workers in Manitoba until the end of 2027, following months of rallies and appeals from the province's immigration minister. The workers had been facing the expiry of permits while their nominations under the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program remained stuck in a backlog.

 

Manitoba MPs said in a joint statement that the workers have built their lives in the province and contribute to the local economy, and should not lose their status while the province finishes processing their files. The extension follows repeated requests from Manitoba's government since last fall, after Ottawa scaled back provincial nominee allotments nationwide, cutting Manitoba's allocation nearly in half between 2023 and 2025.

 

Business leaders in the province welcomed the news but said Manitoba still needs a higher annual allotment to avoid similar backlogs in the future. Protesters had gathered outside the Manitoba Legislature earlier this year demanding the federal government act before permits began expiring.

Comments

Voix True | Canada & USA News, Breaking News, Business & World Updates Radio

Live Radio Stream

Voix True | Canada & USA News, Breaking News, Business & World Updates Live

Live Video Stream